Homeopathy – Acute and Chronic Diseases – The Miasms
The basic ideas of Hahnemann’s miasmic theory
Hahnemann published this new disease theory after 12 years of intensive research and verification on patients and after more than 30 years’ experience using similia to treat acute diseases in his five volumes “The Chronic Diseases” starting in 1828. Unfortunately, the work was not really understood by most homeopaths at the time and was therefore largely rejected and disregarded. This situation persists to this day. But practitioners who deny these laws and rules regarding chronic diseases should not really call themselves homeopaths (or “true healing artists”, as Hahnemann himself put it). These rules and laws go far beyond mere simile relationships and are fundamental to the classical homeopathic treatment of chronic ailments. By ignoring them, practitioners are missing out on many wonderful opportunities and will never experience homeopathy at its fullest. Homeopathy without the miasmic theory can only be rudimentary acute homeopathy, in other words, treatment that is merely palliative but does not deliver a permanent cure.
Risch’s logical conclusion thus gave the miasmic theory the status it deserves: “Homeopathy, therefore, began long before 1790 … and is much more than just the law of similia!”
Characteristics of basic chronic diseases
- They are chronic and, from the perspective of conventional treatments, virtually incurable, wreaking a path of destruction that doesn’t end until the death of the patient.
- They feed on repeated flare ups in ever more central regions of the organism.
- If local measures fight and even suppress external manifestations of the diseases, they respond by getting worse.
Ban on local manipulation
- There is no such thing as side effects. Not really! There are only the effects of a substance or a combination of substances (medication). See the chapter 2.8.5 Drug miasm in the book Gentle Medicine – The True Causes of Disease, Healing, and Health).
- Potencies: By means of a special preparation, step-by-step, dynamic homeopathic medications. A rather complex topic of its own, which cannot be considered in detail at this point. For more information, see my book Die homöopathischen Potenzen – Ein Ratgeber aus der Praxis (The homeopathic potencies – A guide from a practitioner), 2003.
- Venereal: concerning an STD, acquired through sexual intercourse.
- The term anti-miasmatic has crept into homeopathic usage. It really should be properly called homeo-miasmatic, since homeopathy only works according to the principle of similia.
- Allen, J. H., The Chronic Miasms, 1921, Reprint Edition 2006, B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Dehli
- Grätz, Dr. Joachim-F., Gentle Medicine – The True Causes of Disease, Healing, and Health, 2021, Balboa Press, Bloomington, USA
- Hahnemann, S., The Chronic Disaeses, 1896, Philadelphia, Boericke & Tafel
- Kent, J. T., Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy, 5th Edition 1954, Reprint Edition 1989, B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Dehli
- Risch, G., Die Anfänge der Miasmen-Lehre Hahnemanns, Naturheilpraxis, journal 2/1995, Pflaum Verlag, München
- Risch, G., Die hereditär-chronischen Miasmen, Naturheilpraxis, journal 12/1996, Pflaum Verlag, München
About the Author
Dr. Joachim-F. Grätz, Germany, has been working very successfully as a classical homeopath for over 30 years, taking into account the so-called miasms (chronic basic diseases, disease behind the diseases) and is known far beyond the borders of Germany. The uniqueness of his form of therapy consists in his holistic worldview whereby he also integrates insights from dealing with other natural laws into his homeopathic thinking. This enables him to recognize the causal relationships of every illness and to treat them accordingly. An extraordinarily successful practitioner, even with the most severe diseases.